40% of food in the US is getting wasted while nearly 50 million people lack access to healthful food. Food Shift is dedicated to building sustainable solutions that reduce wasted food and hunger. We realize that new, systemic, and more holistic models are needed to connect the dots between wasted food and hunger. That is where you come in.
We are looking for someone with business or nonprofit management experience to join our fun, passionate, and hardworking team of three. The Director of Operations will oversee and be responsible for the overall success of Food Shift’s programs. They will oversee current programs and develop new programs, support new partnerships, implement operational and financial systems, and expand our reach to influence the sector.
Food Shift is currently launching an exciting new initiative — Alameda Kitchen — that will reduce waste, feed people, and create jobs. The Director of Operations will play a critical role in helping to build this program from the ground up while also supporting our goal of influencing a more efficient food recovery and distribution system for the Bay Area and beyond. They will report to and work in close collaboration with the Director. We are looking for someone who can think “big picture” and strategically while also having a keen eye for making day-to-day operations run in an efficient and empowering way. This is a chance to get in on the ground-floor of an innovative social enterprise and organization that is growing quickly and has potential for significant impact and replication.
Food Shift is a fiscally sponsored project of Earth Island Institute, a nonprofit organization based in Berkeley, CA. This position will be an employee of Earth Island Institute and will be expected to know and comply with the policies and procedures of Earth Island Institute.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Planning & Management:
- Work with the Project Director to plan and oversee each of Food Shift’s programs.
- Develop action plan, budget, goals, and timeline for each project.
- Work closely with Food Shift team to determine and delegate work flow and responsibilities for each project.
- Manage partner and client relations and negotiate contracts for each project.
- Support and manage Chef in meeting all responsibilities for Alameda Kitchen program, including processing of incoming food donations and safe production, packaging, and distribution of food products.
- If qualified, provide culinary technical expertise in the development and management of the Alameda Kitchen program.
- Determine impact metrics and systems for tracking and evaluating each program.
- Brainstorm and develop new projects in accordance with Food Shift strategic plan.
Hiring & Management of Staff:
- Hire, train, and supervise Food Shift staff, ensuring staffing levels are optimized.
- Oversee staff in managing volunteers, conducting outreach activities, and fundraising activities and make improvements to processes as necessary.
- Working with our fiscal sponsor, Earth Island Institute, ensure all HR laws, regulations, and Food Shift policies and procedures are followed.
- Conduct reviews, coaching sessions, and disciplinary action in professional and timely manner, and in coordination with HR to motivate performance to optimize productivity and results.
- Develop talent for advancement.
- Fosters positive culture and team morale and teaches good work ethic.
- Assists with establishing a yearly and 3 year budget for Food Shift.
- Set financial targets and ensure targets are met.
- Oversee all Food Shift accounting policies and procedures, ensure compliance and accuracy, and timely reporting, in collaboration with Earth Island Institute.
- Produce, review, and monitor financial reports and variance reports, analyze data, and assess how to increase revenue streams.
- Continuously track revenue and expenses from Alameda Kitchen program to ensure good financial health of program.
- Protect company assets at all times.
- Improve and develop new financial tracking procedures as necessary.
- Oversee client billing and collections.
- Assist with grant development and fundraising as needed, and explore new sources of funding.
- Oversee, develop, and refine Food Shift filing and administrative procedures.
- Oversee and optimize data management and CRM.
- Identify and evaluate infrastructure and office space needs and opportunities.
- Utilize knowledge to continuously improve Food Shift operations.
Vision & Strategic Planning:
- Participate in strategic planning and identify opportunities for growth.
- Oversee organizational goals in meeting established deadlines, in accordance with strategic plan.
- Assess efficiency and effectiveness of overall organization and implement measures to improve when needed.
- Continuously evaluate how we can take our work to the next level, and implement ideas with Director and Team.
- At least 5 years successful experience in business or nonprofit management, particularly in operations and/or food a plus.
- Basic knowledge of financial tracking and accounting.
- Strong computer/ technology skills, including fluency with Word, Excel, Salesforce (desirable), and Powerpoint.
- Good organizational skills and experience managing logistics.
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills.
- Experience working with clients and maximizing client satisfaction.
- Strong leadership skills and experience supervising diverse workforce.
- Able to meet and juggle deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Takes ownership, fulfils responsibilities, and is accountable.
- Strong communication and listening skills.
- Maintains and fosters a passion for our vision and values.
- Ability to lift 25+ pounds and utilize motor skills needed to operate kitchen equipment.
- Understanding and experience with food systems and operational logistics.
- Bachelor degree in related field.
- Knowledge of food services, including sourcing, safety, distribution, nutrition, supply chain, distribution, purchasing, and sustainability programs.
- Experience in catering or other high volume food production environment and knowledge of food service equipment is a plus but not required.
- Experience with sponsorships and fundraising highly desirable.
- Valid driving license and good driving record.
Salary: $55,000 – $60,000 DOE*
Hours: 40 hours per week
Start Date: March 2016
Location: Alameda (at Alameda Point Collaborative) and Oakland, CA (at Food Shift office).
Benefits: Earth Island Institute provides a competitive comprehensive benefits package.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please email a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Food Shift’s Director, Dana Frasz at [email protected] Applicants will be reviewed and contacted on a rolling basis until we find the perfect fit.
In the coming weeks, we’ll be hiring a Chef/Program Manager to support the Alameda Kitchen. Sign up for our newsletter to receive an alert when this position is posted!
Please share with any potential candidates or networks!