Join the folks from Alchemist Farm for a day of Beginning and Advanced Chicken Keeping as well as Quail keeping classes. There is something for all levels of experience in each class and we have a great time!
For a complete listing of what is included in each workshop see the class listings at the bottom of this mobster alert. For registration visit our website at http://wwwalchemistfarm.com
Class participants receive 15% off any order of chicks in 2019.
Who is Alchemist Farm? We are a humane hatchery that specializes in unique chicken and quail breeds that lay all sorts of beautifully colored eggs. All of our chickens are free of breeding cages on individual pastures and none of our male chicks are killed upon hatch as they are in larger hatcheries. We run on 100% renewable clean energy and are moving our farm/business toward zero waste while educating our customers on how they can do the same in their homes. Every year we select a cause we would like to support with the proceeds from our farm. This year we supported End68Hours of Hunger. A group quietly identifies elementary school children that are impoverished and sends them home with backpacks of food for the weekend so they do not go hungry for the 68 hours they are home without free school meals. Supporting our hatchery and farm gives back to our greater global community. We are grateful for your support and look forward to having you join us for one of our classes coming up on June 22nd!
- All about the egg, store bought vs. pasture raised (we will crack a store bought egg vs. pastured egg side by side to show signs of nutrition, freshness and fertility)
- Overview of breeds of chickens, choosing the right breeds for your back yard be it breeds for pets, strong egg producers, meat producers, or dual purpose. (A handout covering all of these breeds will be provided)
- Purchasing chicks.
- Brooding chicks (including all equipment needed).
- Building and or purchasing a predator proof coop with a chickens well being and optimal comfort in mind.
- Equipment for feeding and watering your chickens.
- Correct feed for the various stages of your chickens life, where to get it and how to properly store it.
- Proper bedding for your coop, how to clean your coop and sustainable reuse of the bedding from the coop.
- Setting yourself up for success in how you relate to your flock and daily interactions.
- Normal chicken behavior vs. basic signs of illness.
- Collection and proper storage of eggs.
- Class questions
- Home breeding and incubation.
- Overview of various incubators on the market.
- Proper incubation technique, what temperature and humidity to be aiming for. (A handout will be provided covering this).
- Incubating with a machine vs. a broody hen, health benefits of both methods.
- Selecting eggs to incubate, testing for fertility and viability. (We will crack an egg open to show signs of fertility).
- Candling of eggs
- Feather and egg color genetics of breeds, how to create your own breed (A handout will be provided with charts for easy reference).
- Holistic health management of the flock.
- Setting up proper biosecurity and how to maintain it.
- Proper wing trimming technique
- Signs and symptoms of sickness, overview of various common illnesses.
- What to keep in the home veterinary kit.
- Treatments for common ailments.
- Class questions
- How to properly incubate and hatch quail eggs
- Brooding of quail, setting yourself up for success
- Proper housing, feeding, protection from predators
- Group harmony
- Proper nutrition for egg vs meat production
- What to keep in your home veterinary kit